Angwish IS rock and roll. Bryan Bielanski started the band in 1996 to cope with the grief of losing both his sister and his hero to suicide in 1994. 16 years later Bielanski is still rocking the world. Last year he transformed Angwish from a trio to an alternative rock POWER DUO by building a special pick-up in his guitar so that he can play guitar and bass guitar simultaneously. The music ranges from happy power-pop to harmony laden acoustic rock to grungy in your face songs of despair! Bielanski overcomes any challenge including the most recent of his drummer quitting with no notice in the middle of his last tour. He hustled and found 6 fill in drummers to cover the shows until being joined by long time friend and drummer Josh Griffin.
Angwish is well known for their hard work ethic and dedication to their music and their accomplishments back up their reputation. They have released 6 albums and 3 EPs, toured the US, Canada, Mexico, Italy and Greece, have had songs placed in Red Bull advertisements in several foreign markets, won the Charlotte Music Award for "Most Promising Artist" in 2008 and Bryan was nominated for "Best Songwriter" in the 2011 Charlotte Music Awards.
The lyrics are painfully honest, dealing with real life trials and tribulations, unrequited love, mythological creatures, apocalyptic visions, self affirmation anthems, rock and roll, supernatural experiences, descending into insanity, sex, and zoological themes. The music is driving and never predictable, filled with hooks, and the shows are filled with energy and conviction that is hard to find in a rock band in these times of heartless corporate music industry domination ....the albums have no filler, it is "A" material from start to finish. They actually throw away their "throw away" songs.
Angwish released their sixth studio album "Rock and Roll Destroyed My Life" in 2012 and completed a 5 month 95 show North American tour! The band is currently working on a new album "The Big Rip Off" and a world tour for 2013.
Bryan Bielanski - Vocals, Bass, Guitars, Synthesizers
Josh Griffin - Drums/Vocals
QFQ EP 1998 KEH Records
Prototype 1999 Street Records
He'll Remember EP 2001 Street Records
485 2002 Street Records
All The Problems EP 2005 KEH Records
Calamity 2007 KEH Records
Into The Void 2010 KEH Records
Data West 2011 KEH Records
Rock And Roll Destroyed My Life 2012 KEH Records
The Big Rip Off 2013 (currently being recorded)
- "Anyone who listens to the "Calamity" CD is going to realize that this band is at the doorstep of something great" Scott Homewood (Amps 11 magazine, Charlotte, NC)
- "East coast power pop band packs more hooks than a tackle box!" Erika Boling (Metrospirit magazine, Augusta, GA)
- "Releasing their most rocking record to date, the youngsters are fully capable of penning polished original songs." Samir Shukla (Creative Loafing magazine, Charlotte, NC)
- "Catchy as hell, the vocal melodies and guitar solos are sweetly delivered with an honest sense of urgency." Gordon Lamb (Flagpole magazine, Athens, GA)
- "The new CD is full of punk attitude and energy played with a refreshing level of passion" Micah McLain (Southeast Performer magazine, Atlanta, GA)
- "Songs rev you up, remind you you're alive and force you to listen to music that really rocks...Angwish is a band making a name for itself" Kerry Molessa (Encore magazine, Wilmington, NC)
- "It's loud, it's driving, but the music of Angwish is also intelligent and musically coherent power pop with soul" Woody Mitchell (Charlotte Observer daily periodical, Charlotte, NC)
- "The band has so much passion in their music. The songs sound really great" Scott Litt - Producer (REM, Nirvana)
- MORE PRESS QUOTES IN OUR EPK....CHECK IT OUT ;-)